ahwatukee.com on Facebook
- Main Street
Arts & Life
Arts & Life
- Special Sections
I live in Lakewood very near the intersection of 32nd Street and Pecos Road. The Loop 202 debate has been going on for years but on Sept 26 the final Environmental Impact Study (EIS) was released and I took note that this is becoming a reality. I read the information online and called the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) to inquire about the impact the highway would have on my neighborhood. I learned that none of the houses in my area were in the right of way, but I could not imagine how an eight-lane highway with a median, appropriate shoulders, and a sound wall barrier could possibly fit in the existing space.
Desert Vista graudate Tyler Viza finished up his first full season in Single A for the Phillies organization.
1. On Aug. 12 at 1:34 p.m. police took an assault report in the 5100 block of East Piedmont Road.
1. On July 28 at 1:14 p.m. police took a report of a hit-and-run accident in the 4900 block of East Ray Road.
I have followed this situation with The Lakes Golf Course closing very carefully for the last several months. Even though I do not live near The Lakes, I was an annual member of Club West for 17 years, and I live on the Foothills Golf Club golf course, both Gee properties. When they closed Club West for the summer a few years back I moved my annual membership to Whirlwind Golf Club as they have two golf courses which to play and are very financially sound. Now the problem as I see it, is Mr. Gee has made a sound business decision to close The Lakes because it wasn’t profitable and was draining financial resources from his other properties. Folks, this is capitalism at its finest. If a business is failing and the owner has the opportunity to turn his financial situation around by selling the business for a profit, he should do it. I would do it, and you should do it if you had the opportunity.
1. On July 21 at 8:15 p.m. police took an attempted shoplifting report in the 4000 block of East Chandler Boulevard.
1. On July 7 at 4:10 a.m., police took a report of a weapons violation in the 5100 block of East Ray Road.
The area is brimming with baseball talent.
1. On June 9 at 2 a.m., police took a criminal damage report in the 4100 block of East Monte Way.
1. On June 2 at 12:40 a.m. police took a shoplifting report in the 3600 block of East Ray Road.
(L-R) The "Flip Queens", Helen Vodickova, Gina Abel, Rachelle Ohton and Jade Abel at a Lakewood house they are remodeling on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
(L-R) The "Flip Queens", Jade Abel, Gina Abel, Rachelle Ohton and Helen Vodickova at a Lakewood house they are remodeling on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
(L-R) The "Flip Queens", Helen Vodickova, Gina Abel, Jade Abel and Rachelle Ohton at a Lakewood house they are remodeling on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
(L-R) The "Flip Queens", Jade Abel, Rachelle Ohton, Gina Abel and Helen Vodickova at a Lakewood house they are remodeling on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
1. On May 12 at 10 a.m. police took an attempted stolen vehicle report in the 3800 block of East Lakewood Drive.
Cub Scout Pack 478, operating out of Ahwatukee’s Lagos Elementary School in Lakewood, hosted the Arrow Of Light graduation ceremony on April 15 at Western Star Park. The Arrow Of Light is the highest honor awarded to a Cub Scout, honoring the hard work and dedication needed to graduate. Last year’s graduating scout’s, who are now in Boy Scout Troop 16, returned to assist in the ceremony and honor their achievement. The Arrow Of Light recipient’s were Adam Cooper, R.D., Matthew Knowles, Patrick Koehler, Will Richmond and Gunner Pettit.
1. On April 20 at 10 a.m. police took a criminal damage report in the 16800 block of South Desert Foothills Parkway.
Cub Scout Pack 478, operating out of Ahwatukee’s Lagos Elementary School in Lakewood, hosted the Arrow Of Light graduation ceremony on April 15 at Western Star Park.
1. On April 15 at 4:50 a.m. police took a criminal damage report in the 15000 block of East Windmere Drive.
The Phoenix Police Department joined a website in January as an effort to make neighborhoods safer after concerned residents reported several instances of burglary, solicitation and vandalism in their community.
1. On March 11 at 4:50 a.m. police took a stolen bicycle report in the 1500 block of South 24th Way.