The second season has arrived and only a select few have made it.
Whether it is a team or individual sport, now is the time of the year all strived for when fall camp began in August.
Here are some quick story lines in volleyball, golf, swimming and cross country:
Horizon Honors girls volleyball earned the No. 1 seed in the 2A Conference tournament after going 16-1. It’s a continuation of last year’s success when the Eagles made state semifinals.
Desert Vista girls volleyball have a tough road to a third straight title as the No. 9 Thunder start on the road against No. 8 Horizon with No. 1 Hamilton most likely waiting in the quarterfinals.
Mountain Pointe girls volleyball earned the fifth seed and the Pride’s resurgence to a top program will most likely hinge on its second round match with No. 4 Perry Perry is coached by Fred Mann, who coached the Pride for 20 years.
Meanwhile, Desert Vista senior Kendall Glover set the program’s season record for digs last week, surpassing her sister, Lexi.
Kendall entered Tuesday’s playoff game with 764 digs on the season after setting in the regular season finale. The previous mark by Lexi was 740.
* Desert Vista cross country teams are favorites to pull off a double win in cross country as both the boys and girls squads are heavy favorites in the 6A Conference meet.
* The Thunder girls swim team will be one of the contenders in the Division I meet after winning several meets this season, including beating perennial champions Chaparral and Xavier at the Wolves Classic, and the Gators in a dual meet.
* The Desert Vista boys and girls golf teams qualified for state with the girls finishing as the second ranked team in 6A and the boys were sixth.
* Mountain Pointe had individuals qualify in golf with senior Kayla Kelsen for the girls and junior Zack Ramseyer.
Ramseyer has had quality year in shooting six competitive rounds under 40, including a 35 at the Raven Golf Club.
“He’s been very consistent this year,” Mountain Pointe coach Tony Ramseyer, Zack’s father, said. “In the previous seasons, he scored well but then he’d have that occasional blow up hole or round.”
It’s made the relationship between dad and son, and coach and player easier to manage.
“If he has a bad round, it can be hard to separate the two,” the elder Ramseyer said. “Golf can be very frustrating, but he’s had a really good year so we haven’t had to deal with it as much.”
Monday marked the start of the spring season for high school sports as basketball, soccer and wrestling. The first games/matches for basketball and soccer are Nov. 21, while the first wrestling matches of the season are March 22.
Desert Vista hired Rodney Berry as the interim girls basketball coach for the 2016-17 season.
Berry is the interim because the hire came so late–one week–before the season starts after Cheyan Wilson resigned last month.
The athletic department will do a full coaching search after the season.
Some other story lines for the second season in golf, swimming and cross country:
– Contact Jason Skoda at 480-898-7915 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @JasonPSkoda.
– Check us out and like the Ahwatukee Foothills News on Facebook and follow @AhwatukeeFN on Twitter.
Cave Creek Golf Course, Phoenix
Girls – 8:55 a.m.; Boys - 9:45 a.m.
Girls 12:40 p.m.; Boys - 1:30 p.m.
Girls 10:10 a.m.; Boys - 9:20 a.m.
Girls 1:05 p.m.; Boys - 12:15 p.m.
No. 10 Desert Vista (6-4) at No. 7 Mountain View (7-3)
No. 16 Cesar Chavez (4-6) at No. 1 Mountain Pointe
Division I girls:
Day 1: Today, 7:30 a.m., Aguila Golf Course
Day 2: Thursday, 7:30 a.m., Aguila Golf Course
Division I boys
Day 1: Monday, 7:45 a.m., Grand Canyon Golf Course
Day 2: Tuesday, 7:45 a.m., Grand Canyon Golf Course
Diving: Friday, 1:30 p.m., Skyline Aquatic Center (SAC)
Swim Prelims: Friday, 2:30 p.m., SAC
Swim Finals: Saturday, 2:30 p.m., SAC
Diving: Friday, 9:30 a.m., SAC
Swim Prelims: Friday, 9:30 a.m., SAC
Swim Finals: Saturday, 9:30 a.m., SAC
Diving: Friday, 1:30 p.m., SAC
Swim Prelims: Saturday, 9:30 a.m., Phoenix Country Day (PCD)
Swim Finals: Saturday, 3:30 p.m., PCDS
Today, 6:30 p.m.
No. 9 Desert Vista at No. 8 Horizon
No. 12 Red Mountain at No. 5 Mountain Pointe
No. 16 Desert Christian vs. No. 1 Horizon Honors, 3 p.m.