In the Dec. 14 Letters to the Editor, Sal Gomez stated, “majority rules is the basic tenet of our government and the Constitution” (“Basic tenet of our government,” AFN). It appears Mr. Gomez needs a history lesson, even more so than his fifth-grade son. Our Founding Fathers set up our Constitution for a republic, borrowing from the experience of the Romans. Not everything would be under mob rule (democracy) and voting was allowed so that government would be subject to strict rules. That’s what our Constitution is, a restraint on government, and that is why those in power for the past 100 years or so have ignored the Constitution… it rains on their parade.
Gomez is of the opinion that if 51 percent agree on something, then the other 49 percent have a “moral, civic duty” to support the majority’s views. This is pure hogwash. Here is a hypothetical example of life in Gomez’s democracy: 100 men and women get together to vote. The issue on the floor is, “Let’s molest women.” Fifty-one vote yes and 49 vote no. Sorry ladies, you lose! A far-fetched example? Yes, but it points out that pure democracy is the enemy of individual rights and suppresses minorities.
Perhaps the point of Gomez’s letter was his frustration in the fact that nothing ever gets done in our federal government. Lots of debate, lots of arguing, no action. I share that frustration as well. But thinking that a simple “majority rules” tenet is the solution to all our problems is barking up the wrong tree. The problem lies in our political parties, both Republican and Democrat. For the Republicans, it’s the neocon military-industrial complex big government views that prevail. For the Democrats, it’s the nanny state progressive-liberal big government views that take center stage. There is no longer any middle ground, and the American voter has fallen for the charade that there is a difference between the two parties. Neither party believes in small government, and both parties pay lip service to the Constitution when it is to their advantage.
How do you break the stranglehold of the political parties? Independents. Step 1: Register as an independent in your state. Step 2: Encourage other like-minded Independents to run for office as Independents (it has to start at the local level), with no allegiance to any political party. Those are the easy steps. Step 3: Reform the election and campaign laws to lessen the power of the parties and give easier ballot access to individuals who will run as Independents, as well as level the playing field when it comes to the monies necessary to mount a campaign. Step 4: Re-educate the dumbed-down American public. Americans need a huge lesson in the importance of history, civics, and the Constitution, and need to be reintroduced to the true American way… you are guaranteed opportunities, but not results; work hard, take some risks, and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps when it becomes necessary; government which governs best is that which governs least. Those last two steps are a huge tough nut to crack.