I just wrapped up my 20th year of covering high school sports, including the last four at the Ahwautkee Foothills News.
I started in Ohio, had a shorts stints in Texas and California. All three states are known for their high school sports and ranking among the best in the country as far as producing accomplished athletes.
None of my time in those states compare to what I’ve been able to cover in the four years here in Ahwatukee and the two major high schools.
It’s crazy that this area could produce this much talent. Here are just a few things off the top of my head:
* Former HS player taken in the 1st round of the MLB draft and makes MLB debut – CJ Cron
* U.S. Olympic men’s volleyball member and captain – Reid Priddy
* U.S. Olympic double medalist in track and field – Will Claye
* MLS player in line for World Cup roster spot – Brad Evans
* Former HS player becomes Super Bowl champion – Zach Miller
* Former HS player drafted into the NFL – Devon Kennard
* An Olympic hopeful who won the PF Chang Marathon before being killed in a training ride accident – Sally Meyerhoff.
* Former HS player possibly being drafted into NBA – Jahii Carson
* Former US National team and WNBA players retires to take college coaching position - Nicole Powell
* Baseball players who qualified for the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa., as kids who went on to DI college, pros.
* Two football state titles, two cross country championships, a baseball state title, a basketball state title, a badminton championship, runner-up finishes in soccer boys and girls, football and others.
* Plus there are all of the individual accomplishments in track, wrestling, badminton etc.
It’s been a crazy ride that I never imagined that has no signs of letting up.
Can’t wait to see what’s next.
Contact writer: (480) 898-7915 or Jskoda@ahwatukee.com. Follow him on Twitter @JSkodaAFN.