The 94th annual Children’s Book Week, the national celebration of books for young people and the joy of reading, officially starts May 13, but youngsters can join activities sooner at Changing Hands Bookstore in Tempe:
- May 11, 10 a.m.: Puppet story time (and crafts) for kids of all ages
- May 11, 6 p.m.: James A. Owen, author of “Drawing Out the Dragons”
- May 12, 1 p.m.: Sign language workshop for teens and adults
- May 14, 7 p.m.: Claudia White, author of “Aesop’s Secret”
- May 16, 10:15 a.m.: Preschool story time
- May 17, 7 p.m.: Jewell Parker Rhodes, author of “Sugar”
- May 18, 10 a.m.: Emily Randolph, author of “Dogs are Just Like You”
These events are open to the public, and attendees receive complimentary Children’s Book Week posters and tote bags, while supplies last.
Established in 1919, Children’s Book Week is the longest-running literacy initiative in the country. It is administered by Every Child a Reader and sponsored by the Children’s Book Council.
For information on the local activities, call Changing Hands at (480) 730-0205 or check ChangingHands.com.