The Desert Caballeros Western Museum in Wickenburg simply can’t hold all the town’s history inside its walls.
There is so much history in the Wickenburg area that the museum wants to share it through a series of outside-the-museum-walls adventure tours.
The adventure begins Jan. 27 with the first tour titled, “Where the Past Lives on Constellation Road.” This living history tour relates stories about how many of the local land features received their names; explores old mining sites with in-depth explanations of their operation; and ends at the Williams Family Ranch, where a ranch-style lunch will be served.
In February, there will be two more tours. One will be Feb. 8, which will be a close-up guided tour of the Bagdad Copper Mine. Following the tour, during lunch, learn about the mine’s history and some of the faces and names involved in its past. The next tour will be Feb. 23 and will take visitors up the historic road of Highway 89 to the rural town of Peeples Valley, Kirkland and Skull Valley. The histories of these areas are closely related to the Wickenburg area. Some of the ranch families will talk about this region’s past, followed by lunch at and tour of the famous Kirkland Steak House.
March brings more history tours, with the first on March 12, when visitors will explore the ghost towns of Weaverville, Octave, Stanton and Old Congress. The setting will place participants in the location where it all began for central Arizona. This will be a history lesson with lunch included. Another tour, a trip to the Palo Verde Nuclear Facility, will be March 29, and attendance is limited.
To purchase tour tickets or for information, call the museum at 928-684-2272. The museum is at 21 N. Frontier St. in downtown Wickenburg.
• Jan. 27: Where the Past Lives on Constellation Road — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch and transportation are provided. Cost is $75 for museum members, $100 for nonmembers.
• Feb. 8: Bagdad Mine Tour — 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $25 for museum members, $35 for nonmembers.
• Feb. 23: Tour of historic Highway 89 to Peeples Valley, Kirkland and Skull Valley — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $25 for museum members, $35 for nonmembers.
• March 12: Ghost Towns Tour — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch is included. Cost is $50 for museum members, $75 for nonmembers.
• March 29: Tour of the Palo Verde Nuclear Facility — 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $50 for museum members, $75 for nonmembers.