Race for the Cure approaches $2M goal - Ahwatukee Foothills News: Valley And State

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Race for the Cure approaches $2M goal

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related Stories

Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:32 am

The 19th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure drew many supporters this past weekend and helped the organization almost reach its $2 million donation goal.

This year’s event had more than 25,000 participants and raised nearly $1.8 million, but that number is expected to grow as donations are accepted through Oct. 31.

“This year’s race was incredibly inspiring,” said Renee McClure, race chair. “Everyone in attendance was passionate about the cause, and we’re certain that they’ll continue to rally during the month of October to help us reach our fundraising goal of $2 million.”

Locally, this event has tremendous impact on the fight against breast cancer in the Valley. Of the net proceeds raised, 75 percent will stay in central and northern Arizona to fund education and treatments; the other 25 percent will go to grants and awards to fund breast cancer research.

The one-day event featured a 1-mile family fun run and walk, Breast Cancer Survivors’ 5K Run, 5K Run and 5K Walk. This year’s race also featured a Survivor Parade.

“The Survivor Parade is my favorite moment of Race Day, especially this year in thinking about our theme,” said Dan Costello, president of the Phoenix affiliate board. “My mother was a breast cancer survivor and I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who participates and helps make this event happen.”

For more information on how to contribute, visit www.komenphoenix.org or call (602) 544-2873.

“I know that one day, we’ll realize our goal of ending breast cancer forever,” Costello said.

• Haley Buntrock is interning this semester for the Ahwatukee Foothills News. She is a sophomore at Arizona State University.

  • Discuss


ahwatukee.com on Facebook


ahwatukee.com on Twitter


Subscribe to ahwatukee.com via RSS

RSS Feeds


Uber Car

Ahwatukee Little League 11s win district title

Ahwatukee Little League Minors topped Chandler National North to win the District 13 title.

Despite excessive heat, some residents still active outside

By Jiahui Jia | Cronkite NewsFriday, June 24, 2016PHOENIX — It was 9 a.m. and the temperature had...