Once again, the holiday season is fast approaching. Let us all remember that crooks love this time of year. Why? Because it is loaded with crimes of opportunity. If we remove the opportunity, we lessen our chances of falling victim to crimes.
Try following these simple holiday safety tips to ensure a safe and joyful holiday season.
• Use automatic timers for your lights.
• Ask a neighbor to watch over your home.
• Have mail and newspapers stopped while you're gone.
Going out for the evening
• Leave the lights/TV on at home.
• Make sure doors are locked upon leaving.
• Keep gifts out of sight inside.
• Stay alert of surroundings.
• Park in well lit areas.
• Lock your car doors and windows.
• Hide valuables in locked trunk.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Carry purses close to your body, and wallets on an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
• Ask for I.D.
• If you are leery for any reason, call the police.
Hopefully, these tips will make for a happy and safer holiday season.
• Sheree Lee is community programs officer for the Phoenix Police Department's South Mountain Precinct.