The Phoenix City Council has approved an Economic Development Strategic Plan to position Phoenix as a globally competitive and sustainable city.
As part of the plan, Phoenix will build upon its core strengths to drive job creation to support sustained economic growth.
The plan’s targeted sectors will focus on key industries: bio-life sciences; advanced business services; manufacturing; world business, including trade and foreign direct investment; sustainable industries and enterprises, including “clean tech;” and established emerging enterprises, which are young firms that start small and have a high propensity to grow.
Moving forward, the 10 key priorities that the department will immediately focus on to advance Phoenix’s vision for economic prosperity are:
• Focus on core economic development programs in key industry sectors.
• Implement a California economic development strategy.
• Initiate planning and development of a second Phoenix Biomedical Campus.
• Open a Phoenix Workforce Business and Training Center.
• Leverage economic development tools to strengthen Phoenix’s competitive position to promote Phoenix for international business, trade and investment.
• Invest in market intelligence and technology to drive priorities and outcomes.
• Streamline city regulatory processes.
• Forge strong partnerships with community and business organizations to enhance capacity and service delivery.
• Develop a marketing, outreach and communications plan.
For more information on the Community and Economic Development Department, vistphoenix.gov/econdev, call (602) 262-5040, or follow @PHXEconDev on Twitter.