In an attempt to get as much public input as possible, the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is hosting additional community forums to gather comments on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) of the South Mountain Freeway.
The DEIS was released on April 26 and ADOT will be accepting comments until July 24. Once all comments have been submitted they will be compiled into a Final Draft Environmental Impact Statement. That document will be used to get a final Record of Decision (ROD) from the federal government to move forward with the project, which has been in the works for close to 30 years. ADOT said they expect a ROD in 2014.
There will be one community forum in Ahwatukee Foothills on Tuesday, June 18 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Foothills Golf Club Saguaro Room, 2201 E. Clubhouse Drive.
“While these forums are not formal public hearings and will not include presentations, they will allow members of the public to view the study video, talk with technical experts about the Draft Environmental Impact Statement and provide comments to a court reporter,” ADOT said in a statement.
ADOT recently had a public forum in Downtown Phoenix at the Convention Center. The crowd at that all-day hearing was not overwhelming, but ADOT estimates hundreds showed up to have questions answered and to express favor or disapproval of the freeway.
Other forums for the freeway include:
• June 22, 9 a.m. to noon at the Komatke Boys and Girls Club, 5047 W. Pecos Road on the Gila River Indian Community.
• June 25, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Windmill Suites – Arizona Ballroom, 3535 W. Chandler Blvd. in Chandler.
• July 9, 4 to 7 p.m. at the Laveen Education Center – Boardroom, 5001 W. Dobbins Road in Laveen.
• July 11, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix/Avondale – Ballroom, 11460 W. Hilton Way in Avondale.
Those with comments about the proposed South Mountain Freeway can submit them through several channels:
• By email at email@example.com.
• Submitting online comments at azdot.gov/SouthMountainFreeway.
• Calling (602) 712-7006.
• By mail to the South Mountain Study Team, 1655 W. Jackson St., MD 126F, Phoenix, AZ 85007
For more information on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement or the community forums for the South Mountain Freeway, visit azdot.gov/SouthMountainFreeway.
• Contact writer: (480) 898-7914 or firstname.lastname@example.org.