A natural gas leak in the 4100 block of East Chandler Boulevard resulted in the street being closed in both directions from 40th to 44th Street for several hours Friday morning.
The leak was caused when a 3/4 inch gas line was accidentally punctured just after 10 a.m., according to Deputy Battalion Chief Decker Williams.
As Southwest Gas crews worked to stop the leak, two Phoenix Fire engines and crews stood by as a precaution.
Williams said that one building, which includes CK's Tavern and Grill, was evacuated as a precaution.
Chandler Boulevard was reopened around noon.