Damage to Ahwatukee Carpets was estimated at $4,000 after a Tuesday night electrical fire in a ceiling fan. The business was open Wednesday morning.

A ceiling fan apparently sparked a fire Tuesday night inside an Ahwatukee Foothills-based business, resulting in $4,000 worth of damages.

“I was just getting ready to lock up and get out when I heard a pop, like a light bulb breaking,” said Traci Tartaglio, owner of Ahwatukee Carpets, located at 15215 S. 48th St.

As she watched, smoke began to come out of the fixture, then flames.

Damage to the contents of Tartaglio’s business was kept to a minimum, partly because the sprinkler system didn’t kick in and because Phoenix fire fighters used foam to extinguish the fire.

According to fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs, foam extinguishes fires without the damage that water can cause. A simple fire like Tartaglio’s, where firefighters might use 10 gallons of water, can be extinguished with just two-quarters of water combined with foam.

“It gets businesses back in service a lot faster, and in these economic times that’s our goal,” Jacobs said.

Tartaglio was open for business, answering her phone, Wednesday morning as clean-up crews were at work.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.