Fire damages local business - Ahwatukee Foothills News: Localnews

Fire damages local business

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:00 am

A ceiling fan apparently sparked a fire Tuesday night inside an Ahwatukee Foothills-based business, resulting in $4,000 worth of damages.

“I was just getting ready to lock up and get out when I heard a pop, like a light bulb breaking,” said Traci Tartaglio, owner of Ahwatukee Carpets, located at 15215 S. 48th St.

As she watched, smoke began to come out of the fixture, then flames.

Damage to the contents of Tartaglio’s business was kept to a minimum, partly because the sprinkler system didn’t kick in and because Phoenix fire fighters used foam to extinguish the fire.

According to fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs, foam extinguishes fires without the damage that water can cause. A simple fire like Tartaglio’s, where firefighters might use 10 gallons of water, can be extinguished with just two-quarters of water combined with foam.

“It gets businesses back in service a lot faster, and in these economic times that’s our goal,” Jacobs said.

Tartaglio was open for business, answering her phone, Wednesday morning as clean-up crews were at work.

More about

More about

More about

  • Discuss

Desert Vista Thunder Football Preview 2014

The Thunder look to return to their winning ways behind a talented junior class and a group of...

Facebook

ahwatukee.com on Facebook

Twitter

ahwatukee.com on Twitter

RSS

Subscribe to ahwatukee.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px

Print Edition Online

Online poll

Loading…