Centennial band class evacuated for mercury spill - Ahwatukee Foothills News: Education

Centennial band class evacuated for mercury spill

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:00 am

A Centennial Middle School seventh-grader brought a thermometer bulb containing a small amount of mercury to school Tuesday. The bulb broke on his chair during first hour and 19 students in the band class were evacuated. The student said he found the bulb at his apartment complex and brought it to school. After the Phoenix Fire Department and HazMat (hazardous materials unit) evacuated and secured the classroom, library, office area, health office and ISI (in school intervention) rooms, the areas were cleaned and students were checked for mercury on their shoes, clothes and hands. Twelve students were found to have trace amounts of mercury on their shoes, clothing or hands, and although exposure was minimal, families were instructed to consult their family physician for any concerns expressed or additional follow-up needed. A letter was sent home with all Centennial students after school. "The incident was handled efficiently and with great professionalism," Centennial Principal Katherine Miller said. "All 19 parents of the students from the class were positive and supportive of how the situation was handled. The letter to all families was much appreciated by the community." Corinne Frayer can be reached at (480) 898-7917 or cfrayer@aztrib.com.

More about

More about

More about

  • Discuss

Desert Vista Thunder Football Preview 2014

The Thunder look to return to their winning ways behind a talented junior class and a group of...

Facebook

ahwatukee.com on Facebook

Twitter

ahwatukee.com on Twitter

RSS

Subscribe to ahwatukee.com via RSS

RSS Feeds

Spacer4px

Print Edition Online

Online poll

Loading…