November comes along and minds are on travel, turkey and family gatherings. This classic slider provides an autumn twist. This Bacon and Bleu Cheese Slider will fast become a family favorite and change up the typical “hamburger night.” The dish is fun, and uses a slight shortcut with cornbread mix and it’s easy to get the kids involved (buttering the pan, mixing the ingredients, what kid doesn’t want to crack an egg?). If you aren’t a bleu cheese fan, easily substitute equal amount of goat or gorgonzola cheese. For an extra kick, add one jalapeno (seeded) to the cornbread mix. Prefer a moister cornbread muffin? Replace 1 cup of the milk with one can creamed corn. Kids typically prefer a toned down version of the mayo, use more or less of the chipotle depending upon your families taste. These sliders make great appetizers for your holiday parties or a great main dish for family meals. Enjoy!
Bacon and Blue Cheese Cornbread Sliders with Chipotle Mayo
Makes 12 sliders
2 (6.5oz) packages cornbread mix
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons chopped chives
8 bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cup mayo
1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped, with 1 teaspoon sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, cut into rings
1 1/2 pound ground chuck
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
12 thin slices of cheddar cheese
Lettuce and tomato to dress
1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Stir together the cornbread mix, flour, milk, sour cream and egg in bowl until blended. Stir in chives, bacon and blue cheese. Fill each muffin well in the pan to 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Combine mayo, chipotle, and adobo sauce in small bowl until well blended. Set aside. Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet. Add onion and cook until softened. Set aside.
3. Combine ground chuck, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper in bowl. Blend well. Divide into 12 portions. Pat out into thin burgers. Pre heat skillet until medium high and cook burgers until desired doneness. Top with slice of cheese.
4. To serve, slice cornbread muffins to make buns. Spread chipotle mayo on top and bottom. Place burger on bottom, top with onions. Garnish with lettuce and tomato as desired. Place top on and serve.
• Craig Angel is director of food and beverage at the UltraStar Multi-tainment Center at Ak-Chin Circle.