It’s no secret that Arizona offers some of the best and most luxurious AAA Four and Five Diamond resorts in the country. However, many travelers don’t realize that many of these properties also feature kid camps that aim to please even the pickiest pint-sized traveler. This provides mom and dad with a guilt-free way to indulge in some much-needed couple time, while allowing kids to make friends and create memories of their own.
Many resorts are offering kid camps this summer, but below are AAA’s five favorite picks:
• Loews Ventana Canyon. Whether going on a nature hike or scavenger hunt, your child will be treated to a full day of adventure at the Coyote Kids Club in this Tucson AAA Four Diamond gem. Activities include Koi Fish feeding, desert walks, playground fun, ping-pong and arts and crafts. Teenagers can also participate in activities designed just for them, including stargazing, hiking, biking and rappelling excursions with a trained professional.
• The Enchantment Resort. Would your child enjoy making a dream catcher or sculpting clay and painting pottery? If so, Camp Coyote at Sedona’s AAA Four Diamond Enchantment Resort will fit the bill. Kids 4 to 12 will delight in learning about the natural environment and cultural heritage through entertaining nature and wildlife walks, stargazing, Native American-influenced arts and crafts, outdoor games and recreation, and musical activities.
• The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. This AAA Five Diamond property features the Trailblazers Kids Club for children ages 5 to 12. Little ones will enjoy a variety of activities, games, crafts, and swimming sprinkled throughout their day, ending with an ice cream social. During the summer on Fridays and Saturdays, The Fun Team hosts a variety of poolside activities and games for families as well.
• Sheraton Wild Horse Pass. Back by popular demand, this AAA Four Diamond retreat has partnered with LEGO, Sea Life Arizona and LEGOLAND California Resort to host three summer weekend camps. Kids 5 to 12 years old will enjoy a LEGO “3-in-1” build session complete with races, games and free-brick play. In addition, they will partake in interactive stations and a touch-tank experience from SEA LIFE Arizona. Each family participating in an event weekend will be entered to win a grand prize vacation, including a two-night stay at the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa and LEGOLAND California Resort Hopper Tickets. Camps will be offered on three select weekends including: June 14-16, July 12-14 and Aug. 2-4.
• Westin Kierland. Do you have a budding little chef in your home? If so, this unique “Kids in the Kitchen” culinary program is sure to please. This Four Diamond experience allows kids to play chef, while working with the resort’s culinary team from start to finish, where he or she will learn about safety, cleanliness, cooking and baking and, of course, the consumption of a finished culinary creation. This unique experience also includes a tour of the many kitchens inside the resort. For kids seeking more typical camp fare, the Westin Kids Club offers an entertaining mix of activities to keep kids busy all day long.
• Linda Gorman is communications and public affairs director for AAA Arizona. Reach her at (602) 650-2716 or firstname.lastname@example.org.