This grilled chicken kale salad is delicious, nutritious, and super easy to make. The addition of fresh mint, basil and cilantro give this salad a wonderful taste and healthy blend of herbs.
• 8-12 ounces kale, chopped
• 1/4 cup red onion, diced
• 1/2 – 3/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
• 1/2 – 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1/4 cup Chia seeds
• 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese
• 1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil
• Fresh lime juice (the juice of one large lime)
• Sea salt and pepper, to taste
• 3-4 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
Chia seeds are a rich source of soluble and insoluble fiber — just one ounce of chia seeds contains 11 grams of fiber. Chia seeds have anti-inflammatory properties as these nutty-tasting seeds are an excellent plant source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Chia seeds contain protein, they’re high in calcium and amino acids, plus chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants. Sprinkle some chia seeds on your salads or add to your favorite smoothie.
Ahwatukee Foothills resident Paula Owens, M.S., is the author of two books, “The Power of 4” and “Fat Loss Revolution.” She is a nutritionist and fitness expert with more than 25 years of experience, and creator of “21 Days to a Leaner, Healthier You,” an online exercise and fat-loss program. Visit Paula at www.PaulaOwens.com.